Thursday, February 4, 2010

ESFJ

I am a massage therapist. This can be a very physically but more so emotionally exhausting job. Don't hear what I'm not saying, I absolutely love my job, I cannot imagine doing anything else as a career, and for what feels like the first time ever, I am actually good at what I do.

However, what I have realized, is there are more energy vampires in the world than I could have imagined. And not just clients on the table; people I speak to on the phone, business people I network, have the ability to suck the life out of me if I let them. And who pays the price? When everything is getting sucked out of you during the day, the empty person goes home to a spouse who is not receiving what he should.

Lately, I have been trying to avoid having my emotional energy stolen. My job is to help your body cope with what is effecting it, purely physically, or the emotional pain which manifests itself into physical pain. By all means vent on the table, let someone else handle your pain for a moment, I really don't mind. But, I am now checking the baggage at the *massage* table as it were. I am taking a deep breath on the way home, so when I arrive I am new, rejuvenated and not dwelling on the issues of others, the stress, or the gratification of my job.

I am trying to bring home only me at my best attitude.


Another interesting facet to my industry which I personally find fascinating; is when the connection between you and a client is strong. The person that gets on your table, and the person they see as their therapist, are completely different when the session is over. Some people just need to be heard, need to have their wisdom shared, and I am honored to be the recipient. As a therapist you are always listening to the body, or the person; and when you are really and truely listening, a bond happens which is unique and different. And at the end of the session you are each seen with a new found respect for one another.

Perhaps it is my age, but many times I get the "my god you look 12 years old look" and half way through the session... "how are you so strong?" and "thank you so so much." And I love to help people. And I am so thankful I work for people who recognize your efforts and who want to be helped. I work for very grateful people. When you come down to it, even though I work in a more medicinal/orthopedic massage industry, technically I am still just your service person. So, am I every grateful for their gratefulness.

One limitation to my job is the inability, during a session, to tell somebody Jesus is seeking them and loves them. I don't believe that is considered inside my 'scope of practice,' but these people need the gospel. I just need to seek my opportunities and pray for good timing... ...

No comments:

Post a Comment